POLICE OFFICER PROBATIONARY
We are not currently seeking applications
To be considered for employment as a probationary police officer, you must meet the following minimum qualifications:
· Be a High School Graduate (GED equivalency or diploma)
· At least 21 years of age
· Possess a valid Rhode Island Driver's License
· Be of good moral character, and no felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
· Must be in excellent physical condition
· Must be able to swim
· Be a U.S. Citizen
· Be a Rhode Island resident or become a resident prior to appointment
· Submit to and pass an extensive background investigation which includes psychological screening.
· 12 paid holidays per year
· 5-20 vacation days per year based on years of service
· 11 sick days per year which can accumulate up to 75 days
· Full medical and dental coverage for employee, Family coverage available with co-pay.
· State retirement plan which provides a minimum of 50% of salary after 22 years of service
· Paid life insurance of $50,000 for on duty death
· State tuition reimbursement
· Two weeks military leave
The Richmond Police Department is committed to equal employment opportunity throughout the recruitment and selection process. Candidates must prove to be successful in all of the following:
· Physical Agility
· Written Examination
· Oral Interview
· Medical Examination
· Psychological Examination and Interview
· Final Approval by the Richmond Town Council and Chief of Police
· Complete The Rhode Island Municipal Police Training Academy
· Complete a One Year Probationary Period Upon Graduation from the Police Academy
Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
A PROBATIONARY POLICE OFFICER IN THE TOWN OF RICHMOND:
Will be on probation for the first year of employment with the Town of Richmond and will not be covered by contract during this period.
Will attend the Rhode Island Municipal Academy during the first year of employment, this is a special condition of employment and no overtime will be paid for attendance.
Officer's salary for the probationary period is $35,514, not including overtime. Upon successful completion of the probationary period, officer salary increases to $39,326 with annual step increases up to $52,342. Permanent officers also receive longevity pay equal to 3% of their annual salary after four years of service. The Town of Richmond will pay for dry cleaning of uniforms.
If a probationary police officer leaves the department during their first year and after attending the municipal academy, that officer will be required to pay the Town of Richmond the salary that was paid to them while attending the academy plus expenses. If a police officer leaves the department between the first and second year that officer will be required to pay the Town of Richmond two thirds of the salary that was paid to them while attending the academy plus expenses. If a police officer leaves the department between the second and third year that officer will be required to pay the Town of Richmond one third of the salary that was paid them while attending the academy plus expenses.
Some officers may first be hired as Reserve Officers and then probationary police officers as needed.